Friday, May 29, 2009

Bread Bread Buns Buns...

BBQ Pork Buns (May 27, 2009)
I was given a recipe to make some BBQ Pork Baked Buns earlier this week. My friend wanted to know if it comes out like the ones at the Chinese Bakery...the answer is...no...NSM (Not So Much)...

Unfortunately, I cannot share the recipe on here because it is a "secret" recipe. But trust me, you're not missing out~~

Pork Sung (Floss) Buns (May 28, 2009)
I was browsing the blog "The Viewfinder of Mr and Mrs Kwok" and came across a recipe for Pork Sung Buns. I tried using the recipe, but kind of failed. Not really sure what I did wrong. The dough (as prepared per Mrs. Kwok's recipe) was really wet, and could not be "shaped." Therefore, I added enough flour to make it "shapable." I probably added WAY too much flour, because when the buns came out of the oven, they were a bit rock-like. I picked one up and threw it on the cookie sheet, and all it did was bounce, nothing happened to the bun, not a crack nor a dent. So, needless to say, they went straight to the trash.

Pork Sung (Floss) Buns & Hot Dog Buns (May 29, 2009)
Because of the failure of yesterday's Pork Sung Buns, I've decided to find another recipe (after all, I bought a tub of the Pork Sung). I found the Honey Buns recipe for the Happy Home Baking blog. I decided to transform these Honey Buns to Pork Sung Buns and Hot Dog Buns. I simply followed the recipe as is, except I separated the dough into 10 and not 9. Also, for the Hot Dog Buns, I used a mini rolling pin and rolled the dough into a longish-rectangular shape. Placed the Hot Dog at one end, and rolled it up. I let the Pork Sung Buns proof the same way as the Honey Buns, but the Hot Dog buns proofed with the hot dog rolled in it. After proofing,and brushing the tops with milk, I baked them at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. After the honey buns were done, I simply brushed some transparent mayonnaise and topped with with Pork Sung. Here's my finished product:
We felt that the bun to hot dog ratio was a bit low (ie: not enough bun for the size of the hot dog). So it was a bit on the salty side. Next time, I will use a bigger piece of dough for the hot dog. I haven't tried these buns overnight yet, but touching it, it still feels soft. I will provide an update later.

Milky Loaf (May 29, 2009)
Aside from the buns, I also baked a Milky Loaf. Also, I haven't sliced this and tried it yet. I will also try and provide an update of the loaf later. I think it's a little bit on the darker end, so I will make sure to either cover it with foil, or place the rack lower.

No comments:

Post a Comment