Monday, May 04, 2009

Portuguese Egg Custard Tart, Hong Kong Style Egg Custard Tart & Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Portuguese Egg Custard Tart/Pastéis de Nata/葡式蛋撻
I've been trying to make the perfect Portuguese Egg Custard Tart, but have yet to find the perfect combination between the egg filling and the tart dough. Today, I used this recipe. The egg filling was quite tasty, but the dough was a bit off. I don't really know how to describe it. It's not that it wasn't flaky, because it was, but it wasn't shortbread-y either. It was hard and chewy at the same time. Just off. The filling was pretty good though, I would've preferred it to be a little less sweet, so I'll try 3/4 cup sugar next time. The filling of a Portuguese Egg Custard Tart is supposed to be burnt a little bit. The top layer should have random darkened circles, but mine came out canary yellow-ish. Not sure what happened there either. We really liked the filling though, now we may just need to alter it a bit, and find the perfect crust to go with it.



Hong Kong Style Egg Custard Tarts/
撻皮蛋撻
Since we're on the topic of Egg Custard Tarts, I decided to post my creation of HK Style Egg Custard Tarts. I've tried a couple recipes, and I've combined the best egg filling with the best tart dough.

Recipe:
Tart:
1 Cup Powdered Sugar
3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Butter
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract

Filling:
6 eggs
140g Sugar
1 Cup Water
1 Cup Evaporated Milk
1 Tbsp Custard Powder

Instructions:
Combine Tart ingredients together. Create 3/4 inch dough balls, and neatly spread out onto tart mold. You want the bottom to be as thin as possible (without holes) and the edge of the tart to be a little thicker. Combine Filling ingredients together. Fill tarts with filling about 3/4-7/8 full. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 250 degrees and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool (in molds) for another 10 minutes, and it's done!!




Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
I bought two big jars of peanut butter from Costco back in December, and I figured that I should use it. After all, one can only eat so much PB&J. I searched for peanut butter recipes and came across this. I read the reviews, and after all the suggestions that were given. I decided to add 1 tsp vanilla extract to the recipe. I haven't eaten any yet, but I will give an update once I try one. In the mean time, here are some pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment