Wednesday, May 27, 2009

椰汁馬豆糕 (Coconut Split Pea Jello) vs. 花奶綠豆滑 (Milky Mung Bean Jello-y Pudding)

Elaine sent me a message yesterday asking me if I know how to make "horse bean jello." I've never made it before, but I found her a recipe. It was a hot day yesterday, so I went ahead and made some (using another recipe). I didn't have any coconut milk or any yellow split peas, so i replaced the coconut milk with additional evaporated milk, and the yellow split peas with shelled mung beans. I'm not sure if it's because the the coconut milk replacement or the split peas replacement, but the "jello" didn't set. It set a little bit, but it's more like pudding. It's not all pudding though, it's somewhat dense and it requires some kind of chewing (not melt-in-your-mouth).
But it's supposed to look like this...

(Copyright: http://fat_family.mysinablog.com)
Ingredients:
100g Yellow Split Peas (replaced w/ 200g Mung Beans...I LOVE Mung Beans)
160g Evaporated Milk
280g Sugar
400g Coconut Milk (replaced w/ 400g of Evaporated Milk)
170g Corn Starch
5 Cups Water

Directions:
1. Clean yellow split peas. Place clean split peas in small saucepan, cover with water. Boil until split peas are tender. Drain & set aside.
2. Combine corn starch, evaporated milk and coconut milk.
3. Bring the 5 cups of water to a boil, dissolve sugar in boiling water. Add corn starch mixture to sugar water, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil.
4. Add split peas, mix well.
5. Pour mixture into a lasagna pan and let cool. Once cooled, place in refrigerator to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment